Capital City Museum
Online Button
river label
P5242982a DSC07305a
P5242986a
DSC07311a
P5242989a

Between 1836 and 1842, The Commonwealth of Kentucky built the first set of five locks and dams on the Kentucky River. At first just crude log cribs, the dams created permanent pools of water deep enough to allow large boats to travel routinely and safely on the Kentucky River. When the state failed to maintain the locks and dams or keep channels clear of snags, the United States government took control of the river. The United States Army Corps of Engineers modernized the five old dams, and between 1891 and 1917 built an additional nine locks and dams.

DSC07307a
P5242996b
991
th_facebook_logo

 

Like us on Facebook

© 2011 - 2017 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Capital City Museum

Website Designed and Maintained by Graphic Enterprises