A Step into Frankfort History
The Capital City Museum has acquired another interesting reminder of the history of family-run businesses in downtown Frankfort. Walter Weitzel III has donated a carriage step – also known as a mounting block - that sat for decades in front of Selbert’s Jewelry Store on Saint Clair Street. Once, steps like this were features of downtown streets nationwide. They helped people get into and out of carriages and to mount their horses.
Philip and Mary Selbert established Selbert’s Jewelry Store on the east side of St. Clair Street in 1872. The Selberts came to Frankfort from Bavaria by way of Cincinnati. The store moved across the street in 1890, shortly after Philip Selbert’s death. It has been there ever since, and it is one of Frankfort’s oldest businesses. Weitzel is the modern-day owner, and he is a relative of the Selbert family.